I am an avid fan of the Stargate series. I love everything about Jack O'Neill, Sam Carter, Teal'c, Daniel Jackson, General Hammond, John Sheppard, Ronan, Teyla, Rodney, Carson Beckett. The others were pretty okay but these were the series makers!
I always felt that producers Brad Wright & Rob Cooper had the right formula for the Stargate series. It was almost like magic. I take that back - it was MAGIC! People loved the characters. They were likable as were the episode plots & story arcs.
But now, with the Stargate Universe, it anything but magic. And I am anything but avid. No chemistry, no humor, no adventure, no likable characters (except just Eli - if the rest died, it might be a show saver!!).
5 reasons why Syfy has lost its touch on Stargate series:
1. A CopyCat. Nobody loves a copycat, a wannabe. Who in the friggin' ascended universe would want to see a Battlestar-Galatica or Star Trek Voyager wannabe? No one, that's who. Not even the Ancients, that why they had the foresight to leave Destiny a whole long time ago!
2. Dark, Grim – Get Real! In line with the BSG , why would anyone in their highly developed super-human mind want to watch dark & grim when we get it on real life? After a tough day at work, being barked at by the boss, scrambling to handle the work load, pulling a muscle due to stress, the last I want to see is... yup, you said it - grim.
3. Unlikable, un-stick-able characters. Characters are really REALLY annoying & totally unlikable.. except Eli. Hey, when we watch shows, we want to like the characters. That's plural, not singular. Not get mad or annoyed with them day in, day out. Likability has its appeal - like ratings appeal. Last I checked, SG:U isn't even on the top 25 shows.
4. A reality show episode plot. Seriously, what is this? Where are the hordes of aliens and aliens living on planets? Where's the adventure? What's up with freakin' reality show style going on? No one wants another real-life drama style.. especially on a sci-fi movie. It’s Sci-Fi, for goodness sake!
5. A missing (or yet to be seen) story arc. Its already pretty late in the series and yet there's no story arc here. Again, what's up with BSG & Star Trek Voyager wannabe: finding the way back home. But Star Trek Voyager was way more interesting even with this “We are trapped in some bloody universe finding our way back home” theme. Oh boy, it's going to be another long season...
The only and ONLY thing I like: superb effects!
... Unfortunately, not enough for me to stay on as a fan. I am just looking forward to the Atlantis tv movie. And yes, after Season 1, if things don’t go back to magic of Stargate, I am going to leave SG:U to spend my time with truly great shows!
Have a blast!
Related articles by Zemanta