Note: this is not for new un-broken devices. For those who have bought a new iDevice and would like to jailbreak the pre-installed iOS, click on the link below.
Before iOS 5.0.1, I had used Jailbreak.Me to jailbreak my iPad 2’s iOS 4.3.3. However, after that, I really didn’t know how to go about upgrading the jailbreak to iOS 5.0.1.
I had scourged the web and after much, MUCH research, I finally discovered how to. And now, as I venture into 5.1.1, I had almost forgotten how to do it again.
So, for future references and for anyone out there who, a noob like myself, would like to learn how, I have prepared the instructions below.
Just a reminder, that this is for iOS 5.1.1, but essentially, it’s the same for any other upgrades in the future.
1. Download Absinthe v2.0.4 here . Look at the left side-bar for the versions you want to download.
2. Connect your device to your PC (if iTunes doesn’t come on automatically, click to open iTunes). If you haven’t done a backup in ages yet, now’s the best time to do one before proceeding.
2. On your Device summary page (which will come on automatically), click on Restore . (Click on your Device shown on the left bar of iTunes will also bring to the Device page. Click Summary at the top will show the Device details, including the buttons above).
3. Once you have clicked Restore, you will see the dialog box above. Go ahead and click Restore and Update.
4. You will see the above iPad Software Update agreement. Click Next at the bottom of the box.
5. Click Agree .
6. iTunes now will proceed to download the latest iOS version. Best time to catch up on your emails, read that new comic, watch TV, drink coffee, take a bath (we know you gadget junkies DO need one!).. you catch the drift!
7. Once done downloading, iTunes will automatically install into the device. Please ensure your device is connected.
It will go through a process of installation and you will the Apple logo and a status bar against a black screen on your device.
And once it’s done, you will see the box above appears. Click OK .
8. At this point, DO NOT click Continue yet.
Instead, switch on your device and set it up as a new device. Remember, when it asks if you want to restore from your backup, DON’T!
9. Now, go to the folder where you downloaded & extracted Absinte-win-2.0.4.zip file to.Run the Absinthe program.
Absinthe will now run and you will see this process of extraction in progress.
9. Once this box disappears, check the folder where you ran Absinthe from and you will see the another new folder
Click this folder, and run the absinthe.exe program.
10. You will immediately see the Absinthe dialog where it has detected your device. Click the Jailbreak .
Do not do anything until you see status below.
11. Now, you will need to go to your device and click Cydia icon. It will be probablyi in a new screen,so you will need to swipe left to go to the next screen.
Now, click on Cydia and it will start to run automatically. Let it finish and it will exit by itself & screen will black out itself. Switch on your device and access Cydia . Make sure
If, like me, you have installed AppSync to enable syncing of non-iTunes downloaded apps, follow this link.( For iPad devices, you won’t see a Manage tab in Cydia, but a Source tab. Click on that, Edit (on top left), then Add on top right. The rest you can follow the link.)
Moving on to the last step – backup.
12. Now, choose Restore from the backup of : <your device name> and click Continue.
You will the restore of your backup in progress both on iTunes and on your device. Do not remove your device once this is done.
Once that is done, iTunes will automatically sync all your apps (incl the non-ITunes downloaded ones) to your new device.This process will take a while, depending on the number of apps you have. So, you might want to take that bath now.
Once that is done, you are all good to go!